- Kirsten Kaschock and I interviewed one another for Jen Pastiloff Taleghany’s site, the Manifest-Station: “Our Mythologies: a Conversation.” The Manifest-Station. Interview with Kirsten Kaschock. Live November 7, 2014: http://themanifeststation.net/2014/11/07/the-converse-station-katharine- beutner-kristen-kaschock
Older interviews and guest posts about Alcestis:
- I wrote a guest blog post on Elizabeth Loupas’s blog about the novel. (Elizabeth and I share an agent, the wonderful Diana Fox.)
- ShelfLife@Texas, the University of Texas at Austin literary blog, interviewed me in January 2010.
- Joe Gross of the Austin American Statesman interviewed me in late January 2010 about the publication of Alcestis and my history as a fantasy reader, among other things: “Greek girl gets her own back in mythical tale.”
- I wrote a piece for John Scalzi’s Big Idea series about Alcestis.
- I wrote a guest post at Wonders & Marvels about researching the book.
- The artist Realm Lovejoy interviewed me for her blog, and painted a beautiful portrait of Alcestis to illustrate the interview.
- Kate Ergenbright of the Daily Texan interviewed me about Alcestis.
- Julia Rios of the Outer Alliance interviewed me about the book in March 2010.
- Margaret Donsbach of HistoricalNovels.Info interviewed me about Alcestis.
- Rebecca Chastain of Number One Novels featured an interview with me about the book and my path to publication.
- Gavin Grant of Small Beer Press (publishers of Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet, in which a short-short of mine appeared a few years ago) asked me some excellent questions about the book for the Small Beer blog.
- Alex C. Telander of BookBanter interviewed me in this podcast, from May 15 2010, and wrote up a short review of the book.
- Matthew Merendo interviewed me at length, delightfully, for The Hipster Book Club in September 2010.
- Laura Maylene Walter asked me smart questions for a Q&A on her blog in November 2010.
- Miette Elm of Iambik Audio and Diane Havens, the wonderful narrator of Iambik’s recording of Alcestis, interviewed me in April 2010.
- Ed Battistella interviewed me for the Literary Ashland blog in June 2010.
- Diane Havens discussed Alcestis in an interview.
I’ve excerpted some reviews of Alcestis on its book page, but here are others if you’re a completist:
- Booklist’s January 2010 review, sadly behind a pay wall.
- Cecelia Holland reviewed the book in the September 2009 issue of Locus (the magazine can be ordered via Locus’s site).
- A stunning, thoughtful review by coffeeandink that contextualizes the novel in relation to the works of Mary Renault. Excerpt: “I can’t be particularly objective about Katharine Beutner’s first novel, Alcestis … It is so exactly what I have always wanted some book to be.”
- A great reader response from SonomaLass that focuses on the question of how to read Alcestis’s story in a feminist way.
- Aja wrote two slightly different reviews of the book (both great): here at her book reviewing blog, where the review is her inaugural post, and here at her fandom/personal blog.
- Jessica wrote a lovely review of the book for her book blog.
- Rebecca Hb. describes the gods in the book as “nearly perfect” and “wow” in this reader review.
- This amazing reader review by Matthew Merendo on Goodreads focuses on the novel’s evocation of ancient Greek life. (Here’s Matthew’s published review of the book at Hipster Book Club.)