Mid-semester update edition:
- Sitting in a room full of students who are working intently on a writing exercise. Some of them are usually frowning. But they’re all creating.
- Discussing writing ideas or revision plans with my senior Independent Study advisees, then having them return the next week with surprising, original, clever work inspired by our conversations. I feel unbearably and excessively proud of them.
- Hearing my first-year seminar students voluntarily refer to Riddley Walker, a book many of them struggled through, as we discuss other texts.
- Seeing my first-year seminar students walking around campus together.
- Watching familiar names pop up on my course rosters for next semester as registration progresses. If you’ll pardon a warm-and-fuzzy Internet emoticon moment: <3!