Elements of Moon I had already seen/read/encountered:
- Solaris (the book; haven’t seen either movie version yet)
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (I’ll admit it: I’ve never seen the whole thing)
- Never Let Me Go
- ETA: and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?/Blade Runner, of course.
Non-spoilery things about Moon I actually liked:
- The silly “turning on the music every time the other person tries to talk” bit
- Kevin Spacey as Gerty — perfect voice casting
- Uh… good set design?
I know I say this all the time, but I really wish that mainstream reviewers (and SFF fans!) wouldn’t fawn over genre movies for rising above the level of “not entirely crappy.” (Ahem, District 9, I’m looking at you.)
To end this entry on a less curmudgeonly note, here’s an interesting list of the decade’s best SF films, by John Scalzi. Thoughts? Comments? I haven’t seen Blade II, Cloverfield, or The Incredibles, but I’d definitely kick one off sight unseen to add Children of Men. (And I know T. would vote for Hellboy II, because he thinks it should be on every best-of list ever.)