A brief list.
- The CHOP chemo regimen, which has put my father’s cancer in remission, at least temporarily.
- Paprika — T. and I saw it twice when we were in Portland.
- Strawberry freezer jam with chevre on a toasted English muffin.
- GoodReads: still addictive.
- Pigma Micron pens by Sakura, to which T. introduced me last year. They’re the best ever for marking up books.
- The fact that Nabokov finished the ms. of Lolita only a few miles from my current location. That house is gone now, replaced with some truly ugly new construction, but there’s a plaque to mark the spot — along with a tiny Japanese maple. I’m not sure what kind of symbolic message that little tree is supposed to send.
- The area between, say, Division and Belmont in eastern Portland. Even though the Side Street bar near Belmont got rid of its Galaga arcade machine since last summer. Tragedy!
- The Defoe Review project (based on the HRC’s editions of the periodical).
- Swagat‘s chicken makhani.